26 August 2010

The scent of feral, joyful earth.

Maybe it's because I've started this wee little Pagan blog and have been thinking about my past a lot. Maybe it's because I miss old friends. Maybe it's because it's the Lammastide season, and that always makes me reflective as Mabon, and then Samhain, draw closer and closer. The Veil has begun to thin.

But recently, I found myself looking at an old photo of me (and my stepdaughter, if one can spot her) taken in the Magickal Childe perhaps some twentysomething years ago, and the vast array of jars and vessels behind me caught my attention. It had me remembering when, in my youth, as I waited for my covenmates to arrive at the store for our weekly Pagan Way rites, going to one particular jar on one particular dusty, musty shelf had become part of my personal routine.

Removing the lid, I would breathe the heady vapours from the jar, filling my lungs, and somehow, synapses in head, heart, and spirit conjoined to tell me that everything was all right with the world. For me, the scent in this vessel bespoke of Home like none other.

It was Herman Slater's Cernunnos blend, and along with recipes such as High Church, Kyphi, and straight frankincense, was among the first and most impression-making incenses to arouse my spirit. I loved our group's censer, which dangled from a long length of thin iron chain from a tall, iron rod, and how this incense would dance in thick, white ropes through the candlelight like pipe smoke from a fantasy wizard's mouth.

I remarked on how I missed this scent on my Facebook profile this morning, and a few friends who had also been to the Childe back in the day commented warmly. One asked me what the incense was like, and so I've decided to share it.

CERNUNNOS #1

pine
sandalwood
civit
valerian
musk
cinnamon
frankincense




CERNUNNOS #2

oak leaves
sandalwood
allspice
coriander
cedar
carnation


Herman would eventually publish these recipes in his Magickal Formulary Spellbook, which contains a host of incenses and powders that he and his staff at the store would use. I love the stuff, and regard it as classic material.

He never really detailed proportions for this incense, but with the way the recipes are written, I'm inclined to believe that they're either listed in descending volume order, or as equal parts. Experimentation required, season "to taste." I'm also fairly certain that it was recipe #1 I experienced most often, although I have vague memories of juniper berries and a tiny hint of camphor sometimes being in the mix. Let the pine needles be long. It's also completely possible that the store staff wasn't always particular about mixing batches of both versions, but I have nothing to support that with. Take it as art, not science.

But the resulting incense should be heady, feral, rich, and with an almost soil-like texture. Ground around the bases of a boreal wood at dusk, following a spring rain, near a cluster of mead-drinking dancers. For me, that was part of its charm, and the resulting burn should be sweet and dense, thick and smoky, like an incense equivalent to a deep Italian red wine loaded with body and nose.

For me, it was the essence of The God.

5 comments:

Kyna said...

what is civit? I looked it up, but only found an animal...? or the musk from that particular animal... I assume if it be the later that it would be hard to find?

Devyn Christopher Gillette said...

Pure, natural civit (or civet) would not only be very hard to find, but would be extremely expensive and probably (if animal rights are a concern) as morally challenging as ambergris.

Civets are mongoose-like carnivores from tropical portions of Africa and Asia, and slightly resemble cats. Before synthetic derivatives were developed, its musk would be "harvested" from the perineal gland area for perfumes. Lancome and Cartier have used this scent, and it's been chemically isolated in the famous Chanel No.5 before that company began using the synthetic in the late 90s.

The World Society for the Protection of Animals investigated civet harvesting in Ethiopia and found that if the civets aren't actually killed in the process, they live out their lives in small cages.

The musk is extremely pungent and long-lasting, which enhances the staying power of the perfumes in which it's used. For oil or incense making purposes, it's regarded as a potent male-energy aphrodisiac.

I'd expect that the Magickal Childe used the synthetic version, not only because it's far less expensive, but because one of the country's largest producers of synthetic oils is right in New York's Chinatown, not at all far from where the shop was on 19th Street.

Incidentally, civets are also used for the production of Indonesian kopi luwak coffee. The beans are strained from the animal's droppings after having been consumed by them. Yum yum.

Anonymous said...

I still have a copy of the Magickal Formulary gathering dust somewhere from back in the day when I worked in the Childe. We all called it the Tragical Brat back then. :)

Lady Heather taught me to mix Kyphi, and it was wonderful stuff.

You bring back many memories for me, some happy, some more melancholy.

Wade MacMorrighan said...

Devyn, I'm always on the look out for a new resource of oils, etc. I was wondering if you could tell me the name and anything els that might help me in locating/ contacting this fragrance oil manufacturer in NYC's Chinatown district? MUCH appreciated! Oh, and apologies for any typos....just bought a new comp. today--my first Macbook Pro--so, I'm still getting used to the keyboard! :o)

Take Care,
Wade@MacMorrighan.Net

WiccanWoman said...

My sister is Valerie a/k/a Lady Rhia (not Rhea of the Bronx) who was Herman's first HPs.

Drop me a line via my blog if you'd like to get in touch with her to reminisce....

http://wiccanwoman.wordpress.com/